In the last years GALLEGO ABOGADOS acquired a unique knowledge in this practice area and has taken a leadership role in the commissioning of renewable energy projects and in obtaining tax advantages for such projects or for energy efficiency projects.
Based on this knowledge and with the continued cooperation of our electrical engineers, our firm advices its domestic and foreign clients in the development, structuring, implementation, negotiation, construction, commissioning and operation of their projects in order to generate or transmit electricity in Colombia.
Similarly, GALLEGO ABOGADOS offers its clients comprehensive legal support for the planning, search and execution of business in the energy sector whether it may result from a process of privatization, a concession or a partnership undertaken by the State, or a sales contract concluded with a private party regarding the acquisition of operating assets, or whether it results from the structuring, negotiation and conclusion of typical contracts in the sector, such as BOT, BOMT, etc.
Thus, GALLEGO ABOGADOS accompanies its clients when organizing and adjusting the energy regulation to their necessities and supports its clients from the beginning of the project with the following activities:
- Admission as electricity generator agent in Colombia by the competent authorities on energy (CREG and Superservicios);
- The strategic registration of the project before the UPME;
- Receipt of the connection points of the power plant with the national interconnection system and the negotiation of the respective connection contracts with the respective grid operators.
- Application and obtaining of the environmental licenses or permits required for the construction of such projects, including the prior consultation of neighbor communities and respective indigenous and afro-descendant communities.
- Application and obtaining of the necessary urbanistic permits for the installation of the transmission line that will carry the energy from the generation plant to the connection point with the national interconnected system;
- The negotiation and conclusion of power purchase agreements for the sale of energy to non-regulated traders or agents e.g. using take or pay modalities or other modalities that best suit the characteristics of the client´s project;
Therefore, if your company wants to develop a power generation project in Colombia, GALLEGO ABOGADOS is your ideal strategic partner for the fulfillment of the national energy regulations and in setting the strategy for the construction of the project, for its registration before the competent government authorities, for the application and obtaining of the environmental licenses for the national interconnected system and for the authorization of the national dispatch center in order to sell energy in the Wholesale Electric Power Market.